Now, at age 30, Katie has expanded her horizons from the competition climbing world, though she maintains her onsight prowess. She has made several fast ascents of testpiece desert cracks at Indian Creek, and an impressive, rare onsight of the 23 pitch Northwest Face of Half Dome in Yosemite.
In the traveling climbing community, Katie is perhaps best known for her silver Ford Focus hatchback, where she often resides with her little dog Cody, and for packing an unbeatable selection of accessories on road trips. Katie is currently, however, living in a real house in Boulder, CO, where she spends rest days designing jewelry for a local shop where she works.
See more from Katie Brown here, and you can also Like her on Facebook.
1. prAna gear you can’t live without?
My yoga mat & anything from the Mahdia collection.
2. What you would do (activity/career) if you didn’t climb/BASE
Oh. I just gave that away! Yoga or I would become a jeweler or a stylist.
3. Earliest memory?
Losing my baby doll at the parade. I was beyond upset. When we found her, I started crying even harder than I was before, and my brother just couldn’t understand why, and pretty soon he was upset
4. Childhood obsession?
Reading, clay (modeling clay) and my baby doll.
5. Herbivore or Carnivore?
6. Favorite place in the world?
Moab (Utah) is up there as is Canmore (BC). Too many beautiful places to pick just one though.
7. Favorite TV Show?
8. Favorite Movie?
9. Favorite Book?
Too many to pick. I have an enormous bookcase!.
10. Hobby? (other than climbing/BASE/wingsuit)
Refer to question #2.
11. What is your morning routine?
Make chai (with almond milk). Let the dog out. Let the dog back in. Feed the dog. Drink chai while perusing the computer. Eat breakfast. Shower. Brush teeth. Commence with the day.
12. What do you sleep in?
13. What is the longest you’ve gone without a shower?
14. Talent no one knows about?
I work as a bartender these days. Who knew I could mix drinks?.
15. Motto/quote to live by?
It’ll all be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.
16. Who inspires you?
People who never give up. The dreamers, the ones who never stop striving.
17. If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be and what would you say to them?
I’ve been asked that question so many times, and have never been able to come up with an answer.
18. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 items would you take with you?
Meditations from the mat, a notebook, a pen or a pencil (which would last longer?).
19. What community organizations/non-profits are you involved in?
HERA & Community Cycles.
20. Why are you a prAna ambassador?
Because I believe in the product, and in the message of the company.