Join Our #YogaForLight Instagram Movement
Earth Day Instagram Movement & Eco-Challenge
Illuminate your inner light by finding your mat. Join us, in partnership with the Be-A-Light Solar Lantern Project, for 10 days of asana and environmental activism honoring Earth Day on April 22. Our aim is to activate our instinctual connection to the earth as well as work as stewards to help protect, preserve, and conserve the world around us. Follow and participate in our #YogaForLight Movement on Instagram to create a positive and passionate community of yoga and service. Each day will have a suggested asana (yoga posture) that connects your body, mind and spirit to the elements, as well as an “eco-action” promoting environmental responsibility and awareness.
Since we hold sustainability and the earth near and dear to our hearts, we want to go big in this giveaway by offering a prize that reflects our appreciation to you. First place will win $1,000 worth of new prAna gear, AND the opportunity to gift $1,000 to a person in his/her life that demonstrates and lives environmental awareness and responsibility. (Full details below)
1) Follow @prAna & @shivarea108 on Instagram
2) Post a photo of yourself doing the pose of the day when you can—you don’t have to post every day to enter. This is more a source of inspiration and activism, less of a competition.
3) Use #YogaForLight and tag us @prAna
That’s it! The fun starts April 16. You can find all the daily pose and eco-action details below, as well as daily in our Instagram feed @prAna.
Special thanks to prAna ambassador and founder of Yoga Energy Activism and Be-A-Light the Solar Lantern Project, Shiva Rea for sequence contribution. For more information about Shiva’s work with the Yoga Energy Activism and/ or how to get involved in her Solar Lantern Project please go to: www.yogaenergyactivism.org and www.solar-aid.org
“When we feel disconnected from the nature that lives within us—the earth we eat as food, our water permeated body, the sunlight that penetrates our brain, the air that nourishes every cell—an elementally connected body mudra can reconnect us to our environment.” ~Shiva Rea
Day 1: Earth (Apr 16)
Pose: VAJRASANA with Ganesh Mudra
We start our 10-Day #YogaForLight Movement with a pose of awakening and dedication. Begin by opening your hips to connect to the earth, knees wide, big toes touching behind you. Bring your hands to your heart center with your left palm facing out and right palm facing in; fingers are inter-connected activating the quality of dedication and reflection at the beginning of a cycle (ganesh mudra).
Relax and slow your breath to the rhythm of nature. Feel your roots connected to the center of the earth as you grow through your spine.
*If this is tough on your hips or knees, place a block or blanket below you to help lift your hips.
Eco-Action: Commit to the Earth! Reflect on your life, your behaviors, and your home. What would you like to change to lessen your impact on the earth?
Day 2: Earth (Apr 17)
Pose: Pranamasana w/ pranam mudra
From yesterday’s pose, slowly move with your breath and exhale as you hinge at your hips bringing your forehead toward your mat and maybe even bring your whole body to connect to the earth in pranamasana. Bring your hands over your head into jaya mudra (the mudra of victory) to the earth. Listen and connect to the earth through your body.
Relax your frontal brain that is touching the earth and shift from a thinking mind to a receptive mind. Meditate on your earth body.
Eco- Action: Eat Vegetarian! Eating a locally produced and organic vegetarian diet as much as possible is one of the most direct ways we can reduce our carbon footprint and reduce water use.
Day 3: Water (Apr 18)
Cobra is a wave shape and when we move between two asanas in rhythm it brings the qualities of circulation of breath alive. From pranamasana, slide forward and up into cobra with your hands pressed up on your fingertips below your shoulders. Press your pelvis into the earth as you inhale to draw your chest up to extend through the crown of your head. Your shoulders blades press down your back. Lengthen through your side body and drop your head slightly back. Honor your body and only lift as high as you feel strong and your breath flows with strength. As you exhale pull back to pranams with the knees wide.
Eco- Action: Honor Water! Save the water when you cook meals or from washing dishes and re-use it to water your plants/garden (or your neighbor’s garden if you don’t have one).
Day 4: Fire (Apr 19)
Pose: Dandasana (Knee Variation) with Samkalpa Mudra
With your knees hip distance apart, start standing on your knees and activate your core by creating a staff, or “danda,” diagonally from your knees to your crown. Lengthen your tailbone toward your knees and feel the activation of your fire through your core connection. Clasp your hands in front of your heart space for samkalpa mudra (another hand mudra of accessing your dedication). Inhale, lengthen your spine feeling your core power, and exhale, shift back again for a steady activation, channeling your inner energy and fire. Keep this rhythmic vinyasa with your breath and steady awareness as a way to channel your inner fire and tap into renewable energy.
Eco-Action: Go Solar! Life is dependent on the sun and yet we only harness .02% of its radiant light. Consider installing solar in your home/business. Unplug and enjoy solar lantern lamps or non-polluting candles instead.
Day 5: Air (Apr 20)
Pose: Ustrasana with Moksha Mudra
From your knees, bring your hands to your low back with fingers facing up or down, whatever is within your practice. Inhale, grow tall through your spine, and exhale press your hips forward as you begin to bend back towards your feet. Keep a lift in your chest so you don’t dump into your low back. If you feel that you can go deeper, release your right arm and reach back behind you.
*Move slowly as you come out of this pose, and only when you’re ready move to the other side.
Eco-Action: Offset Your Carbon Footprint! Choose an organization like 3Degrees to help offset your impact by supporting renewable energy projects.
Day 6: Space (Apr 21)
Pose: Anjenayasana with Garuda Mudra
Starting on your knees, step your right foot into a low lunge with your left knee on the earth and right knee over your ankle. Inhale rise up and activate your core, energetically lifting from your front heel up your spine. Come into garuda mudra (eagle) with your arms. Inhale lift your right arm up and exhale wrap the left arm under to hook at the elbows. As you inhale elongate into the space above, and as you exhale hover into the backbend feeling the strength of your side bodies and the connection to the space above. Draw your arms up towards your eyes, as your fly back into the sky. Inhale and come up to elongate the spine.
Eco-Action: Skip The Landfill! Challenge yourself to waste less today. Eat locally-sourced produce, use a reusable tumbler for your coffee, or bring utensils from home instead of using disposable plastic versions
Day 7: Air (Apr 22)
Pose: Dhanurasana in Warrior 3- Standing Bow
Happy Earth Day! Root down through your feet and feel the energy rising through your inner legs. Bend your left knee and reach back for the outside of your left foot with your left hand. Stay here and find balance as you center yourself within the flow of your breath. Or, to go deeper, reach your right hand back to your left foot and find your new sense of balance. To go deeper still press your hands into your foot as you anchor your hips evenly and lift your chest, opening with full power. Stand tall as you rise for the earth and embody your Earth Day dedication.
Eco-Action: In honor of Earth Day, what environmental issue is your passion? Do something today to bring awareness to your local issue or to give some love back to Mother Earth.
Day 8: Fire (Apr 23)
Poses: Parivritta Lasya Vinyasa (Twisting Variation) with Prana Mudra
Come to tadasana or mountain asana with your feet together. With your left foot make a half-moon shape behind your right foot so that your left knee tucks behind your front knee. Your back foot stays on the ball for the entirety of this asana. Move your hands through heart center, and begin to squat down towards your back heel. Twist to your left, bringing your right elbow to the outside of your left knee. Make a peace sign you’re your fingers, and extend your left arm out, reaching towards the sky. Let your breath grow strong in this powerful and challenging pose.
Eco-Action: Embrace the light! Try and only use natural light through the day. Take an electricity vacation to save energy and reconnect with nature.
Day 9: Water (Apr 24)
Pose: Sahaja Prana Flow
Take your feet wide now three feet apart and shift over with knees slightly bent and, toes turned out. Relax your spine as your move your weight from side to side like the current of the ocean. Sway from side to side, honoring your inner natural flow allowing your arms to move freely, finding any mudra that calls to you.
Eco-action: Protect local water sources! Actively participate in a water cleanup—beach, lake, river, water shed, gutter, community pool—anything!
Day 10: Earth (Apr 25)
Pose: Malasana Variation with Prana Mudra
Come into standing malasana (yogic squat) by stepping three-feet wide. Turn your feet out and lower your hips slowly with your knees over your heels. Press down through your heels and feel the energy rise from the earth. As you inhale, draw your hands up through heart center as you lift your spine; extend your arms up over head into the full-body prana mudra as you open your arms and bring your arms level with your eyes and ear.
Eco-Action: Empowerment! Draw from your experience; reflect again on the last 10 days and tell us what you learned.
prAna Earth Day #YogaForLight Instagram Movement & Eco-Challenge
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The prAna Earth Day #YogaForLight Instagram Movement & Eco-Challenge Sweepstakes is open only to individuals who are (a) legal residents of the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia and (b) at least eighteen (18) years of age and the age of majority in their state of residence at the time of entry. Employees or contractors of Sponsor, a competitor of Sponsor, or any of their affiliate companies, parent companies, shareholders, subsidiaries, agents, distributors, wholesalers, retailers, or advertising and promotional agencies, as well as the spouse, parents, siblings, children and household members of any such employee or contractor, are not eligible. The Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void outside of the fifty (50) U.S./D.C and where prohibited by law.
2. SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by prAna Living LLC, 3209 Lionshead Ave, Carlsbad CA, 92010 USA (“Sponsor”).
3. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: Participation in this Sweepstakes constitutes your full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Sweepstakes. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein in a timely manner.
5. ENTRY PERIOD: The Sweepstakes begins on April 16, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time and ends on April 25, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (the “Entry Period”). Sponsor’s clock is the official timekeeping device for the Sweepstakes.
6. ENTRY: To enter, you must have a personal Instagram account and follow @prAna. If you enter or attempt entry more than twelve times by any means except as permitted in these Official Rules, all of your entries will be voided and you will be ineligible to participate in the Sweepstakes. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means are void.
7. DRAWING ODDS: Within one week following the conclusion of the Entry Period, three qualified judges designated by Sponsor will randomly select one (1) potential winner from among all eligible entries received by Sponsor. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Sponsor will attempt to notify potential winner by Instagram Direct (private message) within seven (7) days. If a potential winner cannot be reasonably contacted, verified, or confirmed after two (2) attempts (and further attempts at Sponsor’s sole discretion), a prize is declined, or a potential winner is not eligible for award of a prize for whatever reason, an alternate potential winner will be randomly selected by Sponsor from all eligible entries. Only eight (8) alternate potential winners may be determined, after which the applicable prize may remain un-awarded in Sponsor’s discretion, subject to applicable law. Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to the Sweepstakes, including but not limited to eligibility and winner selection.
8. REQUIREMENTS OF THE POTENTIAL WINNER: POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR, WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THIS SWEEPSTAKES. YOU ARE NOT A WINNER OF ANY PRIZE UNLESS AND UNTIL YOUR ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND YOU HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE. Except where prohibited, potential winners may be required to correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question and timely complete and return an affidavit of eligibility (including a declaration of compliance with these Official Rules), a Form W-9 (for tax reporting purposes), and a comprehensive liability waiver and publicity release (including waivers of any intellectual property, privacy, or publicity rights), and/or other documents requested by Sponsor verifying compliance with these Official Rules, accepting the prize offered, and further acknowledging and agreeing to the terms of the rights, limitation of liability, disclaimers and releases set forth in part herein. If a potential winner fails to answer the skill-testing question correctly within the time allotted, Sponsor will provide the potential winner with the opportunity to correctly answer a second (and if necessary third), different skill-testing question. If the second and third question are not answered correctly within the time allotted or if other requirements are not met, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate potential winner will be randomly selected by Sponsor from all eligible entries as provided above. Acceptance of any prize shall constitute and signify winner’s agreement and consent that Sponsor and its designees may use winner’s name, city, state, likeness, and prize information for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where and to the extent prohibited by law.
9. ONE PRIZE: Winners choice of items from prAna Spring Collection 2015 via www.prAna.com. Approximate retail value: $2,000 U.S. Prize is nontransferable, non-refundable, and cannot be redeemed for cash or credit, in whole or in part. Prize is awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, express or implied. Although Sponsor may ask winner’s preference, the selection of style, color, and size of prize is at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Prize will be shipped to winner’s address within the fifty U.S./D.C. Winners are responsible for payment of all applicable taxes, costs, fees and expenses associated with receipt of a prize. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Prizes will be reported as income to the extent required by law.
GRAND PRIZE: Prize is nontransferable, non-refundable, and cannot be redeemed for cash or credit, in whole or in part. No substitution may be made except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize component for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should be unavailable for any reason. Prize is awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, express or implied. Winner is responsible for payment of all applicable taxes, costs, fees, and expenses associated with receipt of a prize. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Prizes will be reported as income to the extent required by law. Any and all activities related to the prize, including without limitation are at the winner’s and guest’s own risk, including the risk of death, and subject to restrictions imposed by applicable service providers and governing and regulatory agencies. If the winner declines or fails to accept a portion of the prize, that portion is forfeited. Actual prize value may vary based on price fluctuations, departure city, and other factors. Winner will not receive difference between actual and approximate retail value of prize, which difference will have no cash value and will be forfeited by winner.
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend, or modify the Sweepstakes if any fraud or other problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper play of the Sweepstakes, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In such event, Sponsor reserves the right to select a winner from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment or Sponsor’s identification of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil law and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. All activity arising out of and relating to the Sweepstakes is subject to verification and auditing for compliance with the Official Rules and you agree to cooperate with Sponsor concerning verification and auditing. All references to an entrant’s status as a “winner” are subject to Sponsor verification and auditing. If verification activity or an audit evidences non-compliance of an entry or entrant with the Official Rules as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify the entrant and remove the entry from the Sweepstakes at any time.
12. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY; DISCLAIMERS/RELEASE: The Released Parties (defined below) are not responsible for: (a) any inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants or printing errors; (b) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Sweepstakes; (c) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to electronic malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software; (d) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of entries; (e) lost, delayed, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, garbled, misdirected, mutilated, or undeliverable entries, all of which shall be void; or (f) any injury or damage to persons or property including, but not limited to, death, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, as a result of your participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt of any prize. If there is a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an internet service provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the email address. You may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder. SPONSOR AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, DISTRIBUTORS, AND RETAILERS, AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE ADVERTISING AND PROMOTIONAL AGENCIES, REPRESENTATIVES, SHAREHOLDERS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AND AGENTS AS WELL AS ALL SOCIAL MEDIA SITES (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL RELEASED PARTIES BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION AND/OR PRODUCTS PROVIDED AND/OR MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SWEEPSTAKES OR FOR ERRORS OR ANOMALIES RESULTING IN THE UNINTENDED OR ERRONEOUS PARTICIPATION, AWARD OF PRIZE, OR OTHER BENEFITS UNDER THESE OFFICIAL RULES. RELEASED PARTIES OFFER NO ASSURANCES, GUARANTEES, OR WARRANTIES THAT THE SWEEPSTAKES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE SWEEPSTAKES. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SWEEPSTAKES, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL. BY ENTERING THE SWEEPSTAKES AND/OR ACCEPTING A PRIZE, YOU AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY YOU AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE, INJURY, OR LOSS TO PERSON (INCLUDING DEATH) OR PROPERTY RELATED IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE, OR MISUSE OF A PRIZE, PARTICIPATION IN ANY PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY, USE BY A RELEASED PARTY OF ANY ENTRY, PARTICIPATION IN THE SWEEPSTAKES, OR ANY OTHER CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST A RELEASED PARTY. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU IN WHOLE OR IN PART.
13. DISPUTES: Sponsor reserves the right to make all decisions in its sole discretion arising out of or relating to the Sweepstakes, and the decisions of Sponsor are final and binding on all matters relating to the Sweepstakes. Except where prohibited, you agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with the Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Multnomah County, Oregon; (b) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will you be permitted to obtain awards for, and you hereby waive all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages and any other damages other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of any other entrant or Sponsor in connection with the any portion of the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Oregon, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Oregon or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than State of Oregon. By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree that Oregon will be the exclusive forum for any formal dispute resolution.
14. OFFICIAL RULES AND WINNERS LIST: You may obtain the Sweepstakes results and a copy of these Official Rules by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Sponsor with printed request for “Official Rules.” Records may not be available beyond two years. Vermont residents may omit return postage for Official Rules requests.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!