Unacceptable Levels examines the results of the chemical revolution of the 1940s through the eyes of affable filmmaker Ed Brown, a father seeking to understand the world in which he and his wife are raising their children. To create this debut documentary, one man and his camera traveled extensively to find and interview top minds in the fields of science, advocacy, and law. Weaving their testimonies into a compelling narrative, Brown presents us with the story of how the chemical revolution brought us to where we are, and of where, if we’re not vigilant, it may take us.
Over 80,000 chemicals flow through our system of commerce, and many are going straight into our bodies. Even our unborn children are affected. Due to this constant exposure, we have approximately 200 synthetic industrial chemicals interacting with our cells every single day. Until recently, modern science really didn’t understand what that could mean for all of us in the long run, but that is changing.
Globally, disease rates are on the rise. Theories about the causes abound, yet the issues are complex and often muddied by the maneuvering of political and corporate interests. To explore different facets of common chemical exposure,Unacceptable Levels, was made in consultation with experts in multiple fields and is guided by a father on a personal journey as he attempts to bring these issues to light for everyone. Its primary goal? To determine whether we can prevent disease before it strikes us.
Unacceptable Levels opens the door to conversations about the chemical burden our bodies carry so that we can make informed decisions now and in the future. The film poses challenges to our companies, our government, and our society to do something about a nearly-unseen threat with the inspired knowledge that small changes can generate a massive impact.
• Ralph Nader – Author, Getting Steamed to Overcome Corporatism
• Dr. Devra Lee Davis – Founder and President, The Environmental Health Trust
• Stacy Malkan – Co-Founder of The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
• Ken Cook – President and Co-Founder, The Environmental Working Group
• Christopher Gavigan – Former CEO of Healthy Child Healthy World and CPO of The Honest Company
• Dr. Alan Greene – Pediatrician, Author/Feeding Baby Green
• Dr. John Warner – President & Chief Technology Officer, The Warner Babcock Institute for Green Chemistry
• Andy Igrejas – Director, Safer Chemicals Healthy Families
• Joan Blades – President and Co-Founder, MomsRising.Org
• Dr. William Hirzy – Chemist in Residence, American University
• Dr. Richard Clapp – Professor of Environmental Health, Boston University
• Dr. Tyrone Hayes – Biologist, The University of California Berkeley
• Jeffrey Hollender – Former CEO, Seventh Generation
• Randy Hayes – Founder, Rainforest Action Network